Thursday 13 October 2011

A feathered friend

I thought I'd share another of our favourite books with you, a bright, fun and colourful one.


Feathers for Phoebe by Rod Clement (an Aussie author), is a charming tale of a small bird who is plain and simple and unhappy in her skin, well, feathers really!


She visits Zelda - the local birdy beautician who prescribes an array of cosmetic add-ons for Phoebe to make her 'dazzling'.


It includes having a song and dance routine to attract attention.


But it almost all ends badly, with her new accoutrements being too much for a small bird to handle.


Until someone special, saves her from herself.


My girls love this book for the fabulous pictures, the sections of repetitive wording where they can join in as Phoebe selects her various new feathers and the fun sounds in the text such as 'thunk' and 'crash' - that add impact to the story-telling.

I love it for the sweet poignancy of the story pointing out that we all don't have to be glamazons in order to be attractive.

Check it out at your local library or bookshop.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm always on the lookout for good books to read to my girls. We're burning through books each night in a bid to read to my older daughter until she goes to sleep! It's the only way I can keep her in bed, that is until she wakes during the night and makes her way into our bed.

The Australia Post shops often have great packs of books. I've just purchased a few to separate and give out as Christmas presents. They had Mem Fox, Pamela Allen and Dr Suess, in case you're interested :)