Wednesday 22 July 2009

I admit, I caved

I've always said that I don't 'do' commercial 'character' prints when it comes to sewing.

You know, Winnie the Pooh, Disney Princesses, Dora and The Wiggles...

I feel like our kids are bombarded enough each day with advertising and marketing, so I have tried to steer clear of it in things that I make.
Except book characters, I make an exception there!

But then four big blue eyes were looking up at me pleadingly when two small girls spotted this on the clearance table at Spotlight.

And I justified it to myself because they would only be wearing them at night, inside and at least it wasn't Dorothy the Dinosaur in her true colours of vivid green and gold, it was only two-tone pink.

I could live with that, right?


So I caved, and bought it.
Metres of it, as required to make two pair of Oliver+s bedtime story PJ's.

I bound them with pink gingham and pink dots.
It was worth sacrificing a small piece of my soul to the merchandising powers of The Wiggles to see the looks on their faces and the very cute prancing around in their new PJ's when they were finished.
Of course I still have enough to make some for the smallest miss, oh dear!

16 comments:

Mark said...

They look lovely!, and you can hardly tell that its a "character print"!

Bek said...

I know what you mean about the character print thing, but I reckon home made PJs with a well loved character are nothing to be ashamed of! These are just beautiful. My girl would love these. SHe loves Dorothy too.

Emily said...

Anything to get them excited about getting into pajamas and into bed is more than OK in my opinion! They look great :)

~LilOlFrankie~ said...

They look great, I love them!!!

Miss Prudence said...

but how uncommercial do they look! Fantastic!

Unknown said...

Oh, I don't think monochromatic pajamas count, do they? They look great!

Leah said...

You cnt tell unless you look closely! I recon you did well, love the pattern too.

Mel said...

They are sure to inspire just homely PJ DAYS, who wouldn't want to wear them all day long! I think you should make yourself a matching pair, just GORGEOUS, why should the little ones have all the fun! LOL
Mel xox

Kelly O. said...

ooooh. I would have had trouble with that too. Fortunately you can hardly tell that they're a character print. Sometimes it's worth it just for the pleasure on their faces.

cherri said...

I am much the same Karen. I find all those bold coloured character prints awwwwwwfull...

I took DD to S/L and of course she chose a bright purple backed, Dora fabric, for a sweet Japanese styled dress I was making her...I of course left it behind and now, 4 weeks late am riddled with guilt!

Your PJ's are great however and Dorothy is very subtle!

Charity said...

Ooooh, they're darling! I'm sure you will have two thrilled little girls every night at bedtime! :o)

Nikki said...

The trouble with making 'do' and 'don't' statements is that when we go against these, we feel bad. Having ideals are great but cut yourself a break on this one. Some pink Dorothy PJs are not going to screw with their heads like Brats and those evil creations disguised as toys. The PJs are gorgeous and I feel confident in saying I'm sure your soul was not sacrificed.

Kelly said...

Oh my these pj's are lovely. I am sure your girls go to bed very happy in these and who could blame them. I would love a pair!

Sarah-Jo said...

*giggling* ah yes I feel your pain as I was standing in the check out line at kmart this very morning while my 2yr old daughter was pleading with me to buy a dora the explora dvd......
I had already caved into 5yr old brothers Transformer addiction so I said yes but ohhh how it hurt

the PJs are delightful and you really cant notice the print too much from far far away hahaha

Tania said...

I reckon monochromatic Dorothy passes the test - well, maybe just when turned into Oliver + S jimjams. If you squint a little you only see lovely pink bubbles...

Lily Mulholland said...

I caved years ago LOL. But I love the PJs you made a lot more than the rubbish my daughter's been dressed in!