Wednesday 25 July 2007

Babushka Ja Ja

Russian dolls, nesting dollls, little Matryoshka's - call them what you will, I love these little ladies!

For those of you 'old' enough to remember the Cate Bush song referred to in the title, I guarantee the tune will now be rolling around in your head all day - as it constantly is in mine.

A few months back I created a little Russian lady on a Cotton On Kids top for my lovely niece Sophie, for her birthday.

I was keen to try out the fancy stitches on what was then, my new sewing machine, so with a set of dolls and a fridge magnet for reference I made it from felt and stitched it on.

Super easy I must say - and I think pretty cute too!

(sorry about the quality of these pics, photography is not my forte!)

5 comments:

Kylie said...

Oh that is the sweetest. Amelia was playing with those little dolls at the market the other day and I was tempted to buy her a set - but they were made in China and a little two glittery IYKWIM!

Lily Mulholland said...

Karen that's very, very cute and very inspired too! I bought DD a set in Dubai when passing through and it's an Arab family - the largest is the sheik and the smallest is a little girl child, complete with headscarf! Too funny. (and not very PC, but it was made there and who am I to knock back a bit of kitsch!)

Karen said...

Kylie there's a fabulous shop in Melbourne (Block Arcade I think) dedicated to Babushka's. It might make a great Christmas gift for Ameila.

Lily your comment reminded me of the set of "Russian Presidents" nesting dolls my Father-in-law bought in Moscow! Boris Yeltsin the doll!!

Anonymous said...

You love matryoshkas??? I'm very shocked! ;-)))

Anonymous said...

Ohh I love Babushka dolls! I brought my grandmother a set for her birthday, they were blue not red.. She loved them!! I have yet to find the "right" set for myself... One day though!!

I am not very old (only 24) but I love Kate Bush so I know the song well :-)