Some time ago a member of my family asked me to make up some cushion covers for their window seat cushions and I, of course, said yes.
Then I got a bit scared...
|Despite appearances on this cushion, the print was multi-directional.|
They'd be on display every day.
They needed to be right!
So I procrastinated....
For a long time...
Then I got fabric and zippers bought off a roll, a very helpful tip that Linda gave me some time back so you are able to buy long continuous lengths.
|Metres of top-stitching on each cushion...|
There was a heap of cutting - each cushion was 1.2m long and 55cm wide by 10cm deep.
I cut a top and bottom panel, paying particular attention to the print position.
Then two zipper panels to go at the back.
Then one long strip to go around the front and wrap around the sides to the back and join the zipper panel.
|Love this little feature - it just makes them very neat.|
I found this great tutorial about creating a small pocket or pouch where the zipper end could be tucked away out of sight.
|Fun, colourful fabric from Ikea.|
Using upholstery thread of course.
I wanted them to be super-strong; capable of withstanding teenagers flopping onto them for years to come.
They look great in their window setting, and as with most tasks, once I was underway, they weren't actually difficult to sew.