Thursday, 19 May 2011

Skirt homework...

So we're off to a bit of a slow start with the sewalong...

I've been a little preoccupied I must confess - I have big plans for the coming weekend...



In my defence, my plans do include making a few A-line skirts to test out the pattern and make sure I know what I am doing so we can sewalong as successfully as possible.

So please bear with me and let's make an official start a week from now - Wednesday 25th of May.

In the meantime - here's your homework!


  • Choose what style of skirt you'd like to make. I am going with a classic A-line as this suits my figure (curvy!) and is practical and comfortable for my lifestyle.
  • If you have the Sew What Skirts book - familiarise yourself with how to go about making up your pattern by reading pages 16-19.
  • If you are using a commercial pattern measure yourself and draft/trace off the pattern in the appropriate size.
  • If you are planning to use Prints Charming fabric scrap pack in your skirt - sit down and have a go at adding some embroidery to some of the pieces because I guarantee if you say you'll do it after you have finished the skirt, you won't!


And while you are here - why not grab a sew-along button as made by the very clever Gilly, just to jazz up your blog a bit. Thanks Gill.

sit 2 sew what skirts button


See you soon.

PS - everyone is welcome for this sewalong - whether you were at SIT or not and you don't have to use Prints Charming fabric - it's about having a go at making something for yourself and joining in with this community.

7 comments:

chaletgirl said...

Have I told you lately that I love you?

rachelmp said...

I've been eyeing off the Sew Lisette Patterns and I can't wait to see how your version works out, and to see you of course! One more sleep. Hooray

Donna said...

Sounds great. I have done my homework. I am going for an a-line with a small yoke that has a small zip centre back. THis is going to be fun.

Kate said...

Are you really that organised that you have a typed list of what you'll be making and what to take?? No wonder you laughed at me and the messy way I organised that swap last year. And, are you really making yourself a hot ruffle skirt?? Please don't forget a modelled photo of that one. And lastly , have fun!! On no there's actually one more: thanks so much for gorgeous comments about my Dad. They have meant so much xx

Megs said...

i am in, however my book hasn't arrived yet, hopefully it will before go time? otherwise i will maybe go with a barcelona skirt. I too want to make that Lisette pattern although i was thinking of a different neckline, can't wait to see your version!

Leah said...

Lovely! I've read the book, and bought some fabric (I excel at the shopping part of sewing....)

Gillian aka Silly Gilly said...

Yeppers, I've picked my skirt. A-line plain and simple. So it shows off the gorgeous prints charming fabric!