Ooops, I disappeared for a while there didn't I! My computer is dying a slow death, making posting pics a very tedious business, I'd like to help it along, perhaps through the window, but anyway...
Here are the bathers! (Cossies, Swimwear, whatever you like to call them).
|Yes the clip matches, I'm weird like that!|
The first pair for Miss L were supposed to be a one piece but then I got her to try them on before joining the two pieces together she asked if i could just put elastic in the waist of the pants - so I did.
Both these first two pair were made using the leotard pattern from Ottobre 1/2007, patterns 29 and 30.
I cut them sleeveless then once I had the bathers together I tried them on the child and drew onto them where I wanted to cut to lower the neckline and make the arm openings larger.
The next issue of Ottobre is going to have patterns for swimwear in it - so I wll be making sure I get that one.
You can trace off your own pattern from existing bathers.
Dana shows you how to do that here, as well as giving a bunch of other helpful hints and links.
Check them out - it saves making mistakes that someone else has learned from.
|Oh to have such a cute little bottom!|
|A perfect fit for my long and lean child|
|No need to buy size 10 girls bathers that are too 'mature' for her anymore.|
So, onto the details.
Before you sew lycra, read this post by Amy at Angry Chicken and make sure you watch the YouTube clip she links to of the man (yes man) sewing in the elastic into the legs. You'll be glad you did.
It's particularly important to use the right needle. Make sure you rneedle is fresh and a STRETCH needle.
Don't do a straight stitch around high stretch areas where you have elastic, such as the arm, leg and neck openings.
Instead do a zig zag or a twin needle stitch so that there is more 'give' in the stitching.
If you have a coverstitch machine then that's clearly the way to go (lucky you!).
Lycra doesn't fray so there's no need to turn things under multiple times - that makes it warp and sit funny.
(again, watch the YouTube thingy).
I joined the chest ruffle into the garment - in hindsight I think I should have sewn it on top of the completed garment as it created a little too much bulk.
I didn't elasticise the arm openings on these ones, but I will in future to make them sit flatter, they curl a little.
I'd probably also line the bathers to give them a little more strength and body.
This fabric cost me $35 for a metre from Trimmings and Remnants and is really lovely quality - nice and thick.
From one metre I got these two pair and the bottoms and some binding for the smallest child's pair (which I will show you soon), so I think that's pretty good value.
I have to say that overcoming my fear of messing this up was the part of the job that took the longest.
When I dived in with an "it's only the cost of some fabric if I mess it up" attitude, it was pretty easy.
I will definitely be having another go at doing this because I was able to get age-appropriate bathers that fit well and are comfortable for my kids, so they tick all the boxes for me.
Go on, don't be scared, give it a go!