After hunting high and low for doona/duvet covers in red and navy with a girl theme to them (all red and navy things seemed to include trucks, fire engines or nautical themes), I decided to make covers for the girls' new beds myself.
So armed with white drill, navy pindots and red gingham I set about making these.
36 metres of rolled-hem and 18 metres of ruffling combined with six reverse appliques with hand stitched outlines - and here is the result.
They came up really well and are simple but quite effective.
The two are slightly different - with the reverse colours used on the other one and the hearts again positioned so they come across the cover to toward the centre of the room at the foot of bed.
I was going mad trying to iron them until I found a fabulous ironing tip here. So a big thanks goes to Tamara and her mum - you really saved my sanity!